Monday 28 May 2012

I Just Love the Limelight - Urvashi Sahay

We grab a glass of the finest champagne and make ourselves comfortable in the corner of what Urvashi describes as the largest catamaran on the Indian shores at the moment. And as the sight of the iconic gateway of India fades in the backdrop, we take a sip of the delicious bubbly before we indulge in a long chat. For Urvashi Sahay, founder and CEO of one of India’s premiere luxury lifestyle websites, an evening of indulgence is but a way of life.



“I do not want to wait till I retire to enjoy the finer things in life. My husband and I work really hard and believe in a bit of indulgence once in a while,” she says. But the entrepreneur hopes to share the experience with many more and hence the birth of Excluzen.com. The website is purely sinful. From private yacht parties and wine tasting sessions to a luxury spa escape, the website gives one a taste of luxury at the click of a button. Living by the motto of work hard and party harder, Urvashi has toured the world seeking fun and adventure. The vineyards of Italy, France and New Zealand are her favourites.

After working for a telecom company in London for 15 years, Urvashi is now the senior director of a similar company in Singapore. Based largely out of Singapore, Urvashi started the website with her husband Anupam Sahay. The thought, she says, struck her on her 40th birthday. “I closed my eyes and I thought to myself, what is it that I really want? I have wanted to start something of my own for the longest time and decided that this was the moment.” Describing the experience of branching out on one’s own she says, “Working for someone is like being an animal in a zoo. You’re caged, cared for and fed from time to time. But branching out is like being an animal in the jungle. You’re free, but constantly at the risk of being attacked.”



Apart from having sharp business acumen, Urvashi has her eyes on politics, much like the rest of her family. The daughter of the current Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna and grand daughter of ex-UP chief minister Hemwati Bahuguna, Urvashi does not dismiss a future in a similar realm. “I just love the limelight,” she jokes, adding, “My entire family including my grand mother and aunt have been members of the Parliament and to be honest, I have always had an inclination to follow them,” she says.

A multi-tasker herself, Urvashi believes work-family balance is a myth. “Anyone who says so is lying. One can take care of one baby at a time,” she says, referring to her work.An understanding partner can however make all the difference, she adds. But for now, Urvashi is blissfully juggling her roles as a mother, entrepreneur and a corporate.

Source - Asian Age

No comments:

Post a Comment